Have you ever considered starting a non-profit organization around something you deeply care about but hesitate because you have no idea how to apply for grants? Or are you the leader of a non-profit who has applied for grants only to be turned down and you don’t know why? Today’s guest knows what it takes to apply for non-profit grants so you can get far more Yesses than Nos.
In this episode of the P.O.W.E.R. Plug Podcast Host, Mary Foley speaks with Jolie Bernard, CEO of The Bernard Group, a full-service strategic branding and communications firm she started in 2010. They provide clients with strategy services, communications, media, creative, and social. Jolie is also the CEO and partner of six successful non-profit organizations with missions she cares deeply about. She shares how to get projects funded, including applying for grants, and the powerful feeling that comes when a grant application gets funded.
Listen and Learn:
- How storytelling can generate revenue
- The idea of service before self
- Strategies for funding non-profit organizations
- Leveraging donor capacity
- How to find, select, and apply for grants
- The difference between RFPs and grants
- How to be analytical and critical when responding to funding opportunities
- The ‘learn by doing’ approach
- Common mistakes leaders make when applying for grants
- The framework for writing a grant template
- How to be an effective grant writer
- The structure of a Board of Directors for a non-profit